Free Audio Recording Software Downloads
Many musicians have told us that they would like to participate in online music collaboration but they do not have a big budget to buy audio software. The good news is that there many free audio software applications available for both Mac and PC. The following is a list of the products that we have found most useful.
Free Audio Recording Software
Traverso is full features DAW that works on Mac, Windows, and Linux. It has a clean user interface and support for a wide viriesty of audio cards.
Traverso offers the following features:
- Clean and concise interface
- Non-destructive editing
- Unlimited un/redo
- Playback and Record in the file format of your choice including FLAC, OGG, mp3 and WavPack
- On the fly samplerate conversion
- Lockless realtime audio processing guaranteeing high performance low latency operation!
- CD TOC creation, integrated CD Burning
- AudioClip moving, edge setting, splitting, mute, (de)normalize, gain, copy, fade in/out, and so on ...
- Advanced Shuttle tool and work cursor moving, snap to work cursor/Sheet start/etc and a very fast and cool Zoom function!
Audacity is free, open source software for recording and editing sounds. It is available for Mac OS X, Microsoft Windows, GNU/Linux, and other operating systems.
Audacity allows you to dub over existing tracks to make multi-track recordings with no software-imposed limitations on the number of tracks. You can edit your tracks by cutting and pasting, and use a drawing tool to alter individual sample points. Audacity packaged a number of digital effects and supports common plug-in specifications such as VST. Audacity supports high quality recordings with 24-bit dept at up to 96 KHz.
Audacity allows you to export your completed creations to mp3, Wav, AIFF formats.
KRISTAL Audio Engine
KRISTAL Audio Engine is a powerful multi-track recorder, audio sequencer and mixer - ideal for anyone wanting to get started with recording, mixing and mastering digital audio.
It is designed as a modular system. The main application provides a mixing
console, while the audio sequencer, live audio input and so on are loaded as
KRISTAL offers the following features:
- upto 16 audio tracks
- 32 Bit floating point audio engine
- 44.1 to 192 kHz sample rate*
- Export mix to 16/24/32 Bit audio files
- 3-band parametric EQ
- 2 VST insert slots per channel
- 3 VST master effect slots
- ASIO low latency audio driver support
- Supported file formats: WAVE, AIFF, FLAC, OGG Vorbis
Ardour is a powerful multi-track recorder, audio sequencer and mixer. It is the best of the free audio tools and may even be better then allot of the paid packages.
Ardour offers the following features:
- Unlimited audio tracks and buses
- Non-destructive, non-linear editing with unlimited undo
- Anything-to-anywhere signal routing
- Unlimited pre- and post-fader plugins
- 32 bit floating point audio path
- Standard file formats (BWF, WAV, WAV64, AIFF, CAF & more ...)
- Full AudioUnit plugin support on OS X
- Released under the GPL
- Network audio (full fidelity over local network or long haul with CELT) via NetJack
Jokosher is a simple and easy to use multi-track recorder. It is the easiest to use of free audio tools. It is a perfect tool for beginners.
Jokosher offers the following features:
- Easy to use interface, designed from the ground up. Jokosher uses concepts and language familiar to musicians, and is a breeze to use.
- Simple editing with splitting, trimming and moving tools
- Multi-track volume mixing with VU sliders
- Import audio (Ogg Vorbis, MP3, FLAC, WAV and anything else supported by GStreamer) into your projects.
- 32 bit floating point audio path
- A range of instruments can be added to a project, and instruments can be renamed. Instruments can also be muted and soloed easily.
- Export to MP3, Ogg Vorbis, FLAC, WAV and anything else GStreamer supports.
Free Audio File Format Conversion Utilities
LAME is the number one free Mp3 encoder and some say the best encoder. It is an open source software project and it has been implemented in many products. Here are a few of our favorites.
winLAME is an encoder for several audio formats, including mp3 (MPEG Layer 3), Ogg Vorbis and more. winLAME lets you set up the encoding process with an easy-to-use wizard-style user interface.
winLAME supports many input audio formats, and uses the LAME mp3 encoding library for encoding and the MAD decoding library for decoding.